Terrain Model Kit Items (see top picture for items in my kit).
1. Shaving bag to store kit.
2. Laminated index cards for Legend and key control measures (Phase lines, OBJ).
3. Dry erase markers for marking laminate cards.
4. Red yarn, red poker chips to designate enemy positions.
5. White or Blue poker chips to mark friendly element locations.
6. White yarn for marking routes, phase lines and other key graphic control measures..
7. Blue yarn for marking water.
8. Black yarn for roads.
9. 550 cord guts to make grid lines.
10. MRE meal boxes for bunkers and building on OBJ.
11. Construct perimeter wire from a spiral notebook
12. Use MRE card board boxes for additional labeling, and MRE accessory sugar and coffee packets to depict buildings and other features on the OBJ.
Key elements of a terrain model (see example).
1. Model oriented in the direction of travel.
2. North-seeking arrow.
3. Legend - Clearly identify in legend all symbols used on the terrain model.
4. Grid lines and grid coordinates.
5. Objective (OBJ).
6. Exaggerated terrain relief and water obstacles.
7. Friendly patrol locations to include support-by-fire (SBF), security elements (SE), breach and assault element positions.
8. Routes, primary and alternate.
9. Release points (RP, ORP).
10. Danger areas (roads, trails, open areas).
11. Blowup of OBJ area to discuss actions on OBJ in detail.
12. Replicate trees and vegetation using leaves, moss or pine needles.