Raids are characterized by the following:
• Destruction of key systems or facilities (C2 nodes, logistical areas, other high value areas).
• Provide or deny critical information.
• Securing of hostages or prisoners.
• Confusing the enemy or disrupting his plans.
• Detailed intelligence (significant ISR assets committed).
• Command and control from the higher HQ to synchronize the operation.
• Creating a window of opportunity for the raiding force.
Raids are normally conducted using the following Five Phases: (as outlined in the attached diagram).
1. Approach the objective.
2. Isolate the objective area by deploying security elements.
3. Set conditions for the assault element. Suppress or destroy the enemy.
4. Assault the objective.
5. Tactical movement away from the objective area.