The SALUTE Report consists of the following Line Items, Type Information and Description:
1. (S)ize/Who - Expressed as a quantity and echelon or size. For example, report "10 enemy Infantrymen" (not "a rifle squad"). If multiple units are involved in the activity you are reporting, you can make multiple entries.
2. (A)ctivity/What - Relate this line to the PIR being reported. Make it a concise bullet statement. Report what you saw the enemy doing, for example, "emplacing mines in the road."
3. (L)ocation/Where - This is generally a grid coordinate, and should include the 100,000-meter grid zone designator. The entry can also be an address, if appropriate, but still should include an eight-digit grid coordinate. If the reported activity involves movement, for example, advance or withdrawal, then the entry for location will include "from" and "to" entries. The route used goes under "Equipment/How."
4. (U)nit/Who - Identify who is performing the activity described in the "Activity/What" entry. Include the complete designation of a military unit, and give the name and other identifying information or features of civilians or insurgent groups.
5. (T)ime/When - For future events, give the DTG for when the activity will initiate. Report ongoing events as such. Report the time you saw the enemy activity, not the time you report it. Always report local or Zulu (Z) time.
6. (E)quipment/How - Clarify, complete, and expand on previous entries. Include information about equipment involved, tactics used, and any other essential elements of information (EEI) not already reported in the previous lines.